You are looking at our new website.
Heathrow Airport Watch is a membership scheme for aviation enthusiasts run by the Met's Aviation Policing Unit. Its purpose is to help prevent crime and terrorism by asking its members to look out for anything out of the ordinary and to contact us if they see anything suspicious. The scheme works by providing members with a photo identity card and lanyard to wear, so they can be easily identified by police and security teams at the airport.
How to apply
Please download, print and complete the application form and post it along with a photocopy of your passport (details page) to:
PC Gemma Griggs 3396SO
Heathrow Airport Watch Scheme
Heathrow Police Station
If you do not have access to a printer, please email or write to the above address and an application form can be posted to you.
If your application is successful you will be asked to pay a £7.50 fee to cover the cost of producing and posting the identity card.
Below you will find a link to the Heathrow byelaws, which all visitors to the airport must comply with, as well as the scheme's terms and conditions.
- The aviation enthusiast membership card is the property of Heathrow police and can be recalled at any time.
- Please let us know the make, model, colour and registration of the vehicle you will be using at the airport on your application form and let us know the same details if you change your vehicle.
- Please be careful where you park at the airport, as unattended vehicles at or near the terminal or perimeter fence or on any double yellow lines may cause a security alert. Membership of the scheme does not give you access to any area not already accessible by members of the public and you will be subject to the same laws and penalties regarding parking as anyone else.
- The aviation enthusiast membership card is available to anyone who completes an application form, passes security checks, produces valid photo ID, such as a photocopy of a passport or driving licence, and pays the £7.50 fee.
- Police checks will be made on the details you provide and, as a result of this, Heathrow police reserve the right to refuse applications without explanation.
- The aviation enthusiasts membership card does not give you access to restricted areas at the airport.
- If your vehicle is found parked illegally at the airport your enthusiast scheme membership may be withdrawn and you may be prosecuted. Unattended vehicles can be towed away without notice and a fee charged for release and storage.
- Please carry your aviation enthusiast membership card with you when you visit the airport, as you may be asked to produce it if you are challenged by a police officer, police community support officer or airport security officer. We will provide you with a lanyard so that you can wear your aviation enthusiast membership card in plain view. An officer may still decide to carry out further checks and record your details. Please follow any instructions you are given and assist the police and security teams. Please carry a second form of identity, such as a driving licence.
- If you don't follow instructions given to you by the police or airport security, or if you act in an abusive or insulting way, you will have your membership of the scheme withdrawn.
- Please contact us by email if any of your details, such as address, phone number or email address, change after your card has been issued.
- Please note, plane spotting is not considered a reason to attend the airport by the airport authorities. Therefore, the police and Heathrow Airport Ltd may enforce the byelaws at their discretion. You can help other plane spotters by being courteous and responsible and reporting any suspicious or illegal behaviour you see at the airport.